Methods and Materials
- Cancer statistics, 2007.CA Cancer J Clin. 2007; 57: 43-66
- Carcinoma of the esophagus: Is there a role for surgery? The case against surgery.Am J Dig Dis. 1978; 23: 735-736
- Therapeutic strategies in oesophageal carcinoma: Role of surgery and other modalities.Lancet. 2007; 8: 545-553
- Preoperative (neoadjuvant) chemoradiotherapy in oesophageal cancer.Br J Surg. 2001; 88: 338-356
- Patterns of failure following combined modality therapy for esophageal cancer, 1984–1990.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1992; 24: 633-642
- Combined therapies for squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus, a Southwest Oncology Group study (SWOG-8037).J Clin Oncol. 1990; 5: 622-628
- Preoperative chemoradiation followed by transhiatal esophagectomy for carcinoma of the esophagus: Final report.J Clin Oncol. 1993; 11: 1118-1123
- Improved survival with neoadjuvant therapy and resection for adenocarcinoma of the esophagus.Ann Surg. 1993; 218: 571-576
- Neoadjuvant therapy for squamous cell esophageal carcinoma.Ann Oncol. 1994; 5: 17-26
- Chemoradiotherapy followed by surgery compared with surgery alone in squamous-cell cancer of the esophagus.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 161-167
- Randomized study of preoperative chemoradiation versus surgery alone in patients with locoregional esophageal carcinoma.J Clin Oncol. 2001; 19: 305-313
- A comparison of multi-modality therapy and surgery for esophageal adenocarcinoma.N Engl J Med. 1996; 335: 462-467
- A randomized study of chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and surgery versus surgery for localized squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus.Cancer. 1994; 73: 1779-1784
- Pre-operative radiotherapy prolongs survival in operable esophageal carcinoma: A randomized, multicenter study of pre-operative radiotherapy and chemotherapy. The second Scandinavian trial in esophageal cancer.World J Surg. 1992; 16: 1104-1110
- A prospective study of combined therapy in esophageal cancer.Hepatogastroenterology. 1994; 41: 391-393
- Preoperative chemoradiation for squamous cell esophageal cancer: A prospective randomized trial.Can J Gastroenterol. 1998; 12 ([Abstract]): 1008
- A randomized phase III trial of preoperative chemoradiation followed by surgery (CR-S) versus surgery alone (S) for localized resectable cancer of the esophagus.Prog Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2002; 21 ([Abstract]): 130a
- Preoperative radiotherapy in esophageal carcinoma: A meta-analysis using individual patient data (Oesophageal Cancer Collaborative Group).Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1998; 41: 579-583
- Preoperative chemoradiotherapy for oesophageal cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Gut. 2004; 53: 925-930
- A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials that compared neoadjuvant chemoradiation and surgery to surgery alone for resectable esophageal cancer.Am J Surg. 2003; 185: 538-543
- Neoadjuvant treatment for resectable cancer of the esophagus and gastroesophageal junction: A meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials.Ann Surg Oncol. 2003; 10: 754-761
- Survival benefits from neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy in oesophageal carcinoma: A meta-analysis.Lancet Oncol. 2007; 8: 226-234
- The national practice for patients receiving radiation therapy for carcinoma of the esophagus: Results of the 1996–1999 patterns of care study.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2003; 56: 981-987
Surveillance, Epidemiology and End-Results program Web site. Information about, 1/08. Available from: http://seer.cancer.gov/about. Accessed January 19, 2008.
- The Surveillance, Epidemiology and End-Results program: A national resource.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 1999; 8: 1117-1121
- The Surveillance, Epidemiology and End-Results program database as a resource for conducting descriptive epidemiologic and clinical studies.J Clin Oncol. 2003; 21: 2232-2233
Surveillance, Epidemiology and End-Results program Web site. Available from: http://seer.cancer.gov/data/access.html. Accessed January 19, 2008.
- Studying radiation therapy using SEER-Medicare-lined data.Med Care. 2002; 40: 49-54
Surveillance Research Program, National Cancer Institute SEER∗Stat software, version 6.3.5. Available from: seer.cancer.gov/seerstat. Accessed January 15, 2008.
Fritz A, Ries C. SEER extent of disease—1988 codes and coding instructions, third edition, 1/08. Available from: http://seer.cancer.gov/manuals/EOD10Dig.3rd.pdf. Accessed January 15, 2008.
- AJCC cancer staging handbook.6th ed. Springer, New York2002
Surveillance, Epidemiology and End-Results program Web site. Available from: http://seer.cancer.gov/manuals/2007/SPCSM_2007_AppendixC_p2.pdf. Accessed January 15, 2008.
- Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations.J Am Stat Assoc. 1958; 53: 457-458
- Evaluation of survival data and two new rank order statistics arising in its consideration.Cancer Chemother Rep. 1966; 50: 163-170
- Regression models and life-tables.JR Stat Soc [B]. 1972; 34: 187-202
- Surgical strategies in esophageal carcinoma with emphasis on radical lymphadenectomy.Ann Surg. 1993; 218: 213-214
- National Cancer Data Base report on esophageal carcinoma.Cancer. 1996; 78: 1820-1828
- Combined chemotherapy and radiotherapy compared with radiotherapy alone in patients with cancer of the esophagus.N Engl J Med. 1992; 326: 1629-1631
- Chemoradiotherapy of locally advanced esophageal cancer: Long term follow-up of a prospective randomized trial (RTOG 85-01).JAMA. 1999; 281: 1623-1627
- Superiority of trimodality therapy to surgery alone in esophageal cancer: Results of CALGB 9781.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24 ([Abstract]): 4012
- A phase II study of a paclitaxel based chemoradiation regimen with selective surgical salvage for resectable locoregionally advanced esophageal cancer: Initial reporting of RTOG 0246.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2007; 69: S106
Wilson M, Rosato EL, Chojnacki KA, et al. Prognostic significance of lymph node metastases and ratio in esophageal cancer. J Surg Res. Epub 2007 August 28.
- An evaluation of prognostic factors and tumor staging of resected carcinoma of the esophagus.Ann Surg. 2007; 245: 717-725
- Prognostic factors in adenocarcinoma of the esophagus or gastroesophageal junction.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 4347-4355
- Staging of esophageal carcinoma: Length of tumor and number of involved regional lymph nodes. Are these independent prognostic factors?.J Surg Oncol. 2006; 94: 355-363
- A phase I/II study of external beam radiation, brachytherapy, and concurrent chemotherapy for patients with localized carcinoma of the esophagus (Radiation Therapy Oncology Group study 9207).Cancer. 2000; 88: 988-995
Preliminary results presented at the 49th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ASTRO), October 28–November 1, 2007, Los Angeles, CA.
Conflict of interest: none.